Monday, July 4, 2011

Don't worry, I am still alive and well!




Hey all,


So, as you can all tell, I took a little break from blogging. No good excuse really, I just got kind of lazy :) So, as a quick reminder, i am currently in Atlanta going through initial training with Delta to become a flight attendant! The days are long, but not as hard as people make it sound. Just really, really long hours. We've gotten to do some pretty cool stuff here though. Evacuating planes, doing CPR, trying out the escape slides and life vests... I've been having a blast!


Anyways, I'll have to catch everybody up on the details of training later, cause today I have to tell y'all about an amazing experience I had this weekend.


So, every Sunday I jump on the MARTA (the metro) and take a 45 min ride up to church. Usually I'm accompanied by my dear friend Oliver, but since his girlfriend was in town visiting this weekend, I made the trip up by myself. I've heard a lot of stories about the MARTA and how sketchy it is, so needless to say I was a tiny bit nervous. It was the middle of the day and I've taken the MARTA so many times now, I can say that I wasn't too nervous, but I made sure to be very aware of my surroundings. The ride up was perfectly fine, but it was the ride back that got interesting.


So while I was sitting at the station waiting for the train, a hispanic guy comes and sits next to me and mumbles "hola, como esta." Being the dummy I am, I replied "Bien gracias." Oops! Yeah, I know. So he seems like a nice person and all, but not really the type of person you want to have a long conversation with. Well, now he thinks I speak spanish and won't stop trying to talk to me. I tried to be nice about it, making sure to keep all my answers nice and short and not encourage anymore conversation. But then he started asking, (in spanish of course) "Are you working tonight?"," Where do you live?" So I started fibbing a little bit. I was like "Yes, I work tonight." and "I live in this general area" (This was a total lie. I was nowhere near the dorm area). Just then, the MARTA pulls up and I deliberately go to the train car away from where I was sitting so I could separate myself from this guy...and then he follows me on. All this time I am thinking, how am I going to get away from this person?! I mean, I don't think he would have done anything, but the whole situation just made me feel super uncomfortable. Well, I walk on to the MARTA and who is there but the two elders I had just met at church!!!! Hallelujah!!!


The moment I saw them sitting there, I instantly said "Hey! Elders! Fancy seeing you here!" and went and sat near them. Mr. Hispanic saw this and decided to go sit on the other end of the train car. Phew...

This was a definate tender mercy from Heavenly Father! The fact that they were on the exact same train in the exact same train car that I had decided to divert to was not just a coincidence. I know it's kind of a dumb story cause it's not like I was in trouble or anything, I just felt uncomfortable, but even still Heavenly Father was looking out for me. It's these small experiences that let us know that there really is a God, and he really is looking out for us. Some may say it was luck or just coincidental, but I know it was more than that.


Anyway, that's my little story for the day. Atlanta's great! Training's fun! Days 'till i report to base...twenty-one!


No comments:

Post a Comment